The task of managing a fleet is no small feat because of its complexities and the challenges you may experience on various occasions. Fleet managers have multiple responsibilities, including managing workers, controlling expenses, maintaining vehicles, among other things, but above all, the priority is customer satisfaction.
Meeting the demands of your clients as an entrepreneur in the transit business is what sets you apart from the rest, and it strengthens your relationship with the former too.
Improving your fleet management techniques is one of the approaches that can help you fulfill the requirements of your customers, and here are some tips to help you achieve this objective.
Focus on Safe Driving Habits
Vehicle mishandling and accidents taint the image of your freight business and cost you a lot in damages and missed delivery deadlines, and that is why fleet managers should insist on safe driving habits.
Some of the things that can help you promote safe driving habits include;
- Giving drivers adequate feedback regarding their performance when they become victims of traffic violations as well as accidents.
- Creating policies that will address issues of substance abuse, cell phone use, accidents, and violation among drivers.
- Monitoring harsh braking, acceleration, cornering, and idling using GPS tracking devices.
- Adopting safe schedules for your drivers to ensure that they do not have more jobs than they can handle each day.
- Tracking the driving behavior of your staff through the right software to get alerts when they exceed the set speed limits.
Consider Route Optimization
One of the responsibilities of fleet managers is to ensure that vehicles cover the shortest distances possible when heading to a specific destination, which saves on fuel and time.
Unfortunately, planning routes for several vehicles manually will make your work difficult, and automating this task will prove beneficial for your enterprise.
Using software for route optimization allows you more time to focus on other income-generating tasks, reduces idling time, and promotes effective management of fuel costs.
Manage Your Fleet As You Go
Increasing the visibility of your fleet has multiple benefits, and software that comes with a mobile app is a worthwhile investment if you want to manage vehicles and drivers on the go as a fleet manager. Taking your fleet mobile implies that;
- You can respond to last-minute route executions promptly in case of any eventuality.
- Drivers can access their schedules and turn-by-turn directions on the phone.
- Your staff can record proof of delivery, including client text files, signatures, audio notes, or photos.
Monitoring and managing your fleet on the go is one of the approaches that can yield immediate returns.
Furnish Your Customers with Live ETAs
In this day and age, you cannot afford to leave customers in the dark as a fleet manager. Remember that customer satisfaction is paramount for those who are in the freight business, and one of the ways you can achieve that is by furnishing clients with live ETAs when their goods are in transit.
The combination of route planning software and a GPS tracker avails details on the position of each of your drivers in real-time, and with this information, you can use a third-party provider to send clients live updates on when they should expect their goods.
Leverage Available Data
Fleet management software avails a lot of information that you can use to improve your freight operations.
Individuals who use software that incorporates a robust analytics dashboard gain insight into the areas that need improvement as well as information on pending time-windows as well as workers who deviate from the set plan and they can use these details to make the necessary adjustments in their freight activities.
The efficiency of your transit operations dramatically depends on the fleet management techniques you deploy, and these tips can start you off on the right track.
If you need more information on tips for improving fleet management, contact us today!